The Student News Site of Ottawa High School

The Review

Cyclone Football Looks to Build off of 2016 Success

The Ottawa High School football team comes off the field Friday night after the scrimmage game.

Chloe Jones

Chloe Jones

Alexander Walters

With their first game right around the corner, the Ottawa High School football team is coming into the season prepared.

After an impressive season from last year, including the Cyclone’s first playoff victory in the past 16 years, the team focuses on how they can improve from the 2016 football season. The team lost many of their senior varsity starters from last year, but remain confident in their ability to reach the playoffs once again.

“We want to improve as a program every season in the sense that our kids play the game in the right way,” Rob Hedrick [head coach] said. “Wins are always nice and we do want to win as many games as possible and compete for league, district and state championships.  More important to me is that every player treats the game and those who play it with respect and they play the game with integrity.”

“We (the team) can improve everyday at practice, in school, and outside of school by being a family and having each other’s back,” Aaron Doran [11, Offensive Lineman] said. “We all need to believe in each other and trust our teammates because when it comes down to it, we are a family.”

“We strive to get better everyday at a time,” Doran said. “A big goal everyday is to get better and give it all we got. We go to practice everyday with a focused mind to get better. We go hard in practice because that makes the game easier by being prepared.”

“Our goals for this season are to compete for The Frontier League Championship, win the district title again and then advance as far as possible in the state playoffs,” said Hedrick.

The football season for the Cyclones did not start in August – it started with conditioning in the weight room back in December.

“We began working on achieving these goals back in December with weight training and conditioning,” Hedrick said. “Athletes really do need to train year round if they want their team to have any chance of winning titles and championships.  We had a pretty good summer with weights/conditioning and practice.”

“Now that the season is officially here we are working hard to be the best team we can be,” said Hedrick. “We have a lot of talented kids on the squad so I believe we can reach our goals.”

The Cyclones will kick off their season this week with a freshman football game this Thursday at Ottawa against Fort Scott, while varsity will face a strong DeSoto team on Friday night at Ottawa as well.