The Student News Site of Ottawa High School

The Review

Cyclones Fall Short in Homecoming Game

Seniors+Grace+Collins+and+Brandon+Pfizenmaier+are+crowned+Homecoming+queen+and+king.+
Seniors Grace Collins and Brandon Pfizenmaier are crowned Homecoming queen and king.

Alexander Walters, Reporter

Even after facing defeat on Friday against the Spring Hill Broncos during their homecoming game 27-19, the Cyclone Pride never faltered through the night.

“I think the support of our student section at home football games this season has been great,” Brad Graf [athletic director] said. “Our crowds are involved in the game and stay till the end of the activity. The support is appreciated.”

According to Graf, a principal of one of the visiting schools had commented on the great atmosphere of Steve Grogan Stadium on game night. Even when the Cyclones fell behind the Broncos, the fans never quieted down.

“We struggled Friday with the same mistakes we have the last few weeks,” Rob Hedrick [head coach] said. “We have been inconsistent on the offensive side of the ball and making way too many mental mistakes. Defensively has been the same story as well, just too many mental mistakes.”

Trailing 20-6 at the half, the Ottawa High School football team made a valiant attempt at a comeback. Scoring 13 points after the half, the Cyclones were unable to make up the ground lost to the Broncos in the first half.

“Although we have lost three [games] in a row, we have been close to winning each game.  This is both encouraging and frustrating,” Hedrick said. “Knowing that if we would have just made a few more plays we could have pulled out the win.”

At half time of the game, seniors Brandon Pfizenmaier and Grace Collins were crowned homecoming king and queen.

Both Pfizenmaier and Collins say it was more surprising than anything. The other candidates included Travis Lutz and Austen Romstedt for king, and Amanda Wray and Sutton Jung for queen.

“Both of the king candidates that I was up against are both great guys and highly capable of winning,” Pfizenmaier said. “Overall, I was just honored to be recognized by my peers.”

After being defeated by the Broncos Friday night, the Cyclones’ football win/loss record now stands at one win and four losses this season (1-4) . The game was Frontier league opponent Spring Hill’s first win of the season, also standing at a 1-4 record.

The Cyclones will travel to Eudora to face the Cardinals at 7:00 PM on Friday, October 7th, before going on to district play.