The Review

Halloween Neighborhood: Fun or Fiasco?

photo by Addison Weingartner

photo by Addison Weingartner

Morgan Waterman, Reporter

Commotion, crowds of kids, and full candy buckets describe a Halloween night in Pin Oak Estates. Halloween in Pin Oak is a full experience. Every house decorates and buys loads of candy for all of the children. Some houses even go the extra mile and hand out things such as cookies and popcorn. Each year the event has grown and more kids have shown up at the doorstep of each home.

Last year, the Ottawa Herald printed that Pin Oak Estates was the place to trick or treat. The streets were once again barricaded, as they had been the last couple of years, and the kids started to flow in as early as 5 p.m. At my house, my dad loves Halloween and insists that we go all out. We bought more than 2,000 pieces of candy in order to have enough candy for the evening and we ran out before 9 p.m.

As the years go on and word keeps spreading that Pin Oak is a safe trick-or-treating location, the number of kids multiplies. Every Halloween we keep a tally of how many kids arrive at our doorstep. The number went from 600 to 800, and is now more than 1,000 kids. Almost every house has participated in the occasion, but the amount of candy that needs to be bought is starting to break everyone’s bank.

The controversy arose last year that if the newspaper is advertising our neighborhood without permission and drawing thousands of kids to our neighborhood, shouldn’t we receive some kind of money to provide candy for all of them? Everyone loves the atmosphere of Pin Oak, but when is it going to become too much? We already are having to come up with clever ways to try to save money, but still have a great Halloween.

As we all know, after Halloween, all the bulk candy bags go on sale. My dad saw this as a great opportunity to get the most bang for his buck. It was a half price offer that no one could pass up. We loaded up our freezer to preserve the candy and it worked great! Don’t worry, though; we ate a couple pieces of the candy and it still tastes the same and no one got any sickness.

Halloween is one of the most extravagant events in Pin Oak Estates. The kid count is continuously climbing, as well as the candy count. Everyone seems to enjoy the occasion and it has become a great tradition. But will it start to get out of hand? Will there come to be so many kids that we can’t supply enough candy? I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what comes upon us,  but as for right now we will continue to provide a fun experience for all of the trick-or-treating children.

1 Comment

One Response to “Halloween Neighborhood: Fun or Fiasco?”

1. Edwin Duarte on October 31st, 2017 9:14 am

Morgan, you’re a goat.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The Student News Site of Ottawa High School
Halloween Neighborhood: Fun or Fiasco?