The Review

Where Halloween Started

Back to Article
Back to Article

Where Halloween Started

Tiffany Darr

Tiffany Darr

Tiffany Darr

Hannah Roberts, Reporter

Halloween is popular in America. That much we know. And the holiday has its exciting perks: getting loads of candy, dressing up as your favorite character, breaking out of one’s regular routine. The anticipation alone has people buzzing throughout the month of October. Most, however, don’t know Halloween’s origins.

According to history.com, Halloween originally came from the Celts, when they would celebrate their new year on Nov. 1st. It was a deeply religious and superstitious time of the year. Part of this event was to celebrate the end of summer and fall, and to welcome the beginning of winter. They also thought of the time between of Oct. 31st and Nov. 1st as a time when the dead and the living became indistinguishable. This was called Samhain.

Huge fires would be burned, and costumes of animal skins would be worn to commemorate the event. Although this event only took place in locations like Ireland, England, and France, it eventually made its way to America. There were only a few states that would celebrate the holiday, so it took a long time for all of America to eventually celebrate Halloween.

There was a big push for America to really start integrating Halloween into their culture. This was when millions of Irish immigrants came in the mid-19th century, and brought their holiday traditions with them. Halloween became less of a religious and superstitious thing when newspapers across America would ask to keep the scary things out of the holiday. Soon, Halloween was more about partying and just enjoying a holiday with the community.