The Review

Girls’ Basketball; Ready to Roll

Alexander Walters, Reporter

The Ottawa High School girls’ basketball team is ready to roll for the season following their alumni scrimmage game held last Friday.

“The alumni scrimmage went great,” said head coach Jamie Porter. “We had five alumni girls to scrimmage against the varsity girls. It was a great opportunity to see what the girls need to work on in practice and get prepared for our first game this Friday against Piper.”

The first game of the season today will be the beginning of the girls’ reach for their goal of making it to state. This goal was voted on unanimously by the team.

“Other goals the girls have set are keeping our communication going and playing together as a team,” Porter said.

Last year, the girls’ team fell in a substate game to Abilene High School 65 to 30, and closed their 2016-2017 basketball season with a record of five wins and 16 losses.

“The girls need the positive support from the community, school, parents and most of all their peers to accomplish a successful season.”

The girls’ basketball team will kick off their 2017-2018 season today, playing at home against opponent Piper High School. Piper, a current member of the Kaw Valley League, will be joining Ottawa in the Frontier League next school year.