The Review

Cyclones not Deterred by Lack of Experience; Reaching for Goals

Alexander Walters, Reporter

After a successful alumni scrimmage game, the Ottawa High School boys’ basketball team is looking forward to the season ahead of them.

“(The) scrimmage was good,” said head coach Cliff McCullough. “It allowed us to get an idea as to where we are at and see the things we need to work on before our first game.”

Eight alumni graduates from Ottawa high school scrimmaged against the varsity team.

“I believe our biggest weakness is our lack of experience,” McCullough said.

The team has only four players that received any significant amount of playing time at the varsity level last season, including seniors Devion Bethea, Krystofer Johnson, Kaleb Shaffer, and sophomore Kobe Johnson.

The team’s goals for the season, McCullough said, are the same as they are every year. This includes winning another Frontier League title, as well as making a deep run in the postseason, potentially winning a state title.

Last year, the Cyclones fell to Abilene High School in a very close game, only missing a shot at the state playoffs by three points (The final score was 55-52). That put the team at 17 wins and five losses to close the 2016-2017 basketball season.

The boys’ basketball team will kick off their 2017-2018 season tonight, playing at home against opponent Piper High School. Piper, a current member of the Kaw Valley League, will be joining Ottawa in the Frontier League next school year.