The Review

Book Nook: Ready Player One Moving to the Big Screen

Alexander Walters, Reporter

Imagine a world where humanity no longer lives on Earth. Instead, the lives of most humans are spent in the Oasis, a virtual reality simulator that allows people to escape the declining world around them, avoiding the effects of global warming, sickness, and many other social problems across the globe.

Without spoiling too much from Ready Player One, here is a brief introduction to the story. Wade Watts, the narrator and main character, is an orphaned teenage boy who lives with his aunt in Oklahoma City in the stacks – a poor district constructed out of trailer homes piled on top of each other. The year is 2045, several years after the death of the creator of the Oasis, James Halliday.

Fast forward five years. Since Halliday’s death, people have searched high and low for the virtual “Easter egg” where Halliday left his fortune. Watts is the first to discover the first of three keys, the ‘Copper Key,’ on the same virtual planet as his online high school.

The book was originally published in 2011. Authored by Ernest Cline, it has received recognition by large publications such as the New York Times and USA Today.

Wade Watts’ character is based mainly off of Cline’s personal self and a combination of many of his friends, just as geeky as him.  He starts off as your typical teenage loner, and a super geeky guy. His only real friend at the beginning of the book is a guy he met online, who goes by the name Aech (pronounced “H”). I enjoyed watching him gain more friends throughout the book and growing more through the experiences he goes through.

The book’s movie adaption is set to release to theaters March 29, 2018. The movie had been pushed back from its original release date, Dec. 15, 2017, to avoid competition with “Star Wars: The Last Jedi.” However, the director of the upcoming movie, Steven Spielberg, has opted to take out all of the pop culture references to his old films. The book contains many references to the movie director’s work, including movies such as The Goonies (Spielberg was the executive producer in this one), Back to the Future,  Indiana Jones, and more. This will upset some fans who like the 1980’s references, but Spielberg’s references make up only a small part of the large amount of allusions to the time period. References to other movies, books, games, music, and galore fill the book, able to please any reader’s geeky side.

Overall, the book was one of my favorites. Despite the upsetting news about Spielberg, I’m excited to see the movie when it premieres in March. I think it’d be one worth watching if you were considering going. There’s a reason this book is always checked out: it appeals to readers.