The Review

FBLA Back up and Running

Alexander Walters, Reporter

On Jan. 31st, the Ottawa FBLA chapter traveled to Emporia State University for the Kansas District VII Conference. Aaron Campbell [9]  and Alexander Walters [11] attended the conference, along with Terry Wallace [adviser].

“The district FBLA conference and competition was a great learning experience,” Wallace said. “We were unfamiliar with the whole event, so we gained experience that will be useful in future events.”

District VII is made up of several counties and schools, including Lyon, Franklin, Osage, Morris, Chase, and Coffey counties.

FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) is a club that was recently brought back to Ottawa this school year after several years of lying dormant. The conference was a good learning experience for the chapter, as well as a good chance for the members to compete and explore what the events and competitions are like.

“There were over 500 people at the event,” Wallace said. “It was organized and run extremely well.”

The club offers a wide array of competitive events – everything from presenting with a team in front of judges to competitive tests, from computer problem-solving to advertising, and much more. With a total of 71 team and individual events for members to compete in, FBLA has a lot to offer.

At the event, Campbell placed third in the Introduction to Business test event while Walters placed third in the Business Calculations test. Even though Ottawa only had two members in attendance at the conference, it was enough to give the chapter enough points to finish 16th out of the 17 schools that attended. The winning school, Wellsville, had 60 students attend the conference.

The chapter will head to compete at the Kansas Expocentre in Topeka for the State Leadership Conference on Tuesday, March 27.