The Review

Getting the final product: big event planning

Tyler Roberts, reporter

Being an event planner isn’t an easy career to be good at and it isn’t a good fit for a lot of people.

“I have always had a strong passion for designing, so the curiosity of knowing if I would ever be successful in the design field led me to open my business,” Elizabeth Garcia [Brilliance Event Decorations Coordinator] said.

It requires constant attention to detail and a specific set of skills that not everyone has. Here are the most important skills and tips needed to be successful at event planning.

Extreme organization is essential.

Keeping track of multiple vendors, numerous tasks, keeping your client happy, and constantly changing to-do lists can be challenging and overwhelming for the majority of people. Being organized may come naturally to people who make and manage to-do lists for their personal use. Being very organized also stresses how important meeting deadlines is. In some cases, events take longer than a year to plan and require staying organized for long periods of time. An event planning checklist dedicated to each specific event is the most valuable tool for event planners.

Being personable smoothes out the whole process.

No matter what the event is about, it will always involve people. Successful planners are engaging, good conversationalists and excellent listeners. The whole career is social and the event is all about the people you’re working with. Understanding clients and enjoying talking to them is a huge part of the job and will make the whole process go more smoothly.

One must be a great communicator.

“Communication with clients is very important, if not the most important, of all,” Garcia said.

In event planning, a miscommunication can lead to numerous problems for the planner and the client.

“Time management during the event planning is important because at some events, we only have a few hours to set up,” Garcia said.

A misunderstanding can be catastrophic to the flow of the event. Being able to effectively communicate thoughts and ideas is a practical skill that is used on a day-to-day basis. Event planners should be able to successfully communicate both verbally and digitally.

Being creative is a must.

Event planners should have a variety of ideas before starting to plan events. Not only should they have ideas, but they need to be able to take those ideas and turn them into something tangible. Being creative is helpful in event planning in the form of problem solving.

Multitasking is key.

A good portion of event planning is taking on multiple tasks at one time to be efficient. In order to get every aspect of the event to work smoothly together, it is important to work on things simultaneously. This will ensure that everything is accounted for and that nothing gets less attention than anything else. Staying calm, focused and flexible are attributes of a successful event planner.

“In order to start a business and keep it running you must have a growth mindset, otherwise you will not succeed,” Garcia said.

Being able to successfully plan and execute big events isn’t easy and requires many skills. An event planner needs to multitask, be able to communicate well, be highly organized, naturally creative, and personable. If one of these skills is lacking in an event planner it can cause numerous problems and stress for both the planner and the client.