The Review

A Chilly Tailwind for the Ottawa Cyclones

Alexander Walters, Reporter

The chilly breeze of spring this far into the year has not prevented our Cyclones’ sports teams from reaching new heights. Baseball, softball, girls’ soccer, boys’ tennis, golf, and track and field have all made strides in their own respective seasons despite the cold weather conditions.

“This season has been a great experience so far,” Amber Harris [head softball coach] said. “It is a great group of girls who come out and work hard every day and want to get better. They work together on the field to find a way to win, and I think that we have started off strong, but we still have some work to do.”

The girls’ softball team has a current win-loss record of eight wins and three losses (as of April 24) and will play on senior night this Tuesday, May 1, against Louisburg at the Orlis Cox Sports Complex starting at 4:30 p.m.

Meanwhile, the baseball team continues to look for improvement as well against tough and competitive teams. “We have faced a lot of good teams and we will continue to get better,” Shawn Herrmann [head baseball coach] said. “The kids have great attitudes with the weather and have been working hard.”

The baseball team has a current record of four wins and four losses (as of April 24) and will also play on senior night at the Orlis Cox Sports Complex.

The Cyclone’s golf team has continued to excel against tough competition as well, winning three of their six first tournaments and finishing runner-up in two of those. “The boys’ golf season is off to a great start,” Mark Eggold [head golf coach] said. “I think the team is playing its best golf and I hope it can continue into the [regional] meet May 14th and a return to the state meet May 21st.”

The golf team will compete at the regional tournament on May 14, shooting for another shot at the state golf tournament.

The Cyclones’ track and field team has been able to run right over the hurdle of cold weather. According to Terry Wallace [track coach], the season is going well despite weather setbacks.  “We have a more balanced team this year,” he said. “We are able to score in more events than in the past. The athletes have been working in practice and on their own and as we come to the last few meets of the year, we expect times to come down and distances to go up. We have numerous athletes who have a good chance to get to the state meet and do well once there.”

The team will compete at the Shawnee Mission North Relays this Friday, May 4, before heading into the league and regional meets.

A team full of fresh blood, with four returning players and six new players at the beginning of the season, the boys’ tennis team has played well through the challenges of cold weather. “It’s been fun,” Sharon Morford [head tennis coach] said. “I’ve seen a lot of improvements from the team, especially from the freshman who just picked up a racket a couple months ago.”

The team will play at the regional meet this Thursday, May 3, at Hayden for a chance to compete at the state meet.

Harnessing the power of comradery, the girls’ soccer team has fought well against tough opponents this season. “There has been a lot of improvement in the girls over the months, and we continue to grow stronger as a team,” Samantha Gitmed [soccer coach] said. “It may not always be easy, but the teamwork and comradery that we see on the team makes this sport so enjoyable.”

The girls’ soccer team will play at home this Thursday, May 3, against Tonganoxie.