The Student News Site of Ottawa High School

The Review

How Much Is Too Much?

Megan Olmsted, Reporter

Every high school student has most likely had the nights where they’re up late doing homework, knowing they’ll just have to do it all again the next day. Sometimes, no matter how early the homework is started, it’s impossible to get it all done.

Teachers and parents will often argue that if students would stop procrastinating on their homework at night, they would easily get it all done. Many students would reject that notion, especially when they have sports or work after school, then have at least four to five hours of homework.

Let’s get this straight: students don’t want to devote their whole life to homework. When they have eight hours of school, two hours of practice, and four hours of homework, that’s at least fourteen hours of their day going towards school. That only leaves ten hours for work, getting ready in the morning, anything students are interested outside of school, time with family and friends, and of course sleep. According to nationwidechildrens.org, high school students need nine to ten hours of sleep to function properly, which just doesn’t work.

Even if there was less homework, many hours of a student’s day will still be devoted to something they are not even interested in. School is supposed to prepare students for the future and their careers, but when it takes away from something students are genuinely talented and interested in, it takes away from students’ potential for the future.

With so many hours of school, there is no point in having so much homework. According to the National Education Association, students should only have ten minutes per grade level, so the most homework students would have in high school is two hours as a senior. Even then, students are so tired at the end of the day that even if teachers think something should last minutes, it could last hours, especially if the student has trouble focusing.

According to healthline.com, research shows that homework over the recommended level can change a student’s attitude towards school, social life, and overall quality of life. Studies show that the average high school student has 3.5 hours of homework a night. With eight hours of school a day, there should be more than enough time for teachers to teach what they need to. If students can’t learn what they need to in that amount of time, teachers should learn how to utilize their time instead of leaving such a heavy workload on students, often times to figure it out themselves, instead of receiving the knowledge they need in school.

There is no guarantee that homework is even helping anything in the first place and it is likely counterproductive. When students have so many hours of homework, they are more concerned with finishing the homework than absorbing the material.

Overall, it is not realistic that teachers will get rid of homework completely. However, it would be extremely beneficial to student learning, lives, and future, to lessen the homework load that students have every day.