The Review

Playing It Up

Back to Article
Back to Article

Playing It Up

Emma Carriger, Editor

Acting and theater have long been in the hearts of students here at Ottawa High School. Now, classes are available for these students, and they are able to pursue their passions.

”I’ve been interested in theater for a long time,” Avery Welton [11] said. “In all honesty, I just ended up in the class because it fit my schedule, but I’m glad I did.”

At the beginning of the year, many new teachers joined the district, including Rebecca Greasby [theater teacher]. Her task: to build a theater program from scratch.

“It’s been a challenge because I’ve never done it before,” Greasby said. “I didn’t know totally what to expect. But, it’s been a lot of fun because everyone is eager, and I’m eager to get in and get things working.”

Starting with only the foundation of the curriculum, her theater background, and the curiosity of what the job would entail, she has made the theater program what it is with her experience to also back her up, with students taking notice.

“It’s really nice with the teacher we have because she has so much experience,” Welton said. “We definitely get a different experience than with someone who wasn’t as educated in theater as she is.”

“My philosophy isn’t necessarily to build people who go into the arts. My philosophy is to build people who appreciate the arts, who will continue to support the arts.””

Not only does Greasby teach here at the high school, but she also teaches theater classes over at Ottawa Middle School, a fact that made many high schoolers upset.

“There’s a lot of disappointment here that the high schoolers didn’t get the same opportunity [at the middle school],” Greasby said.

Now, she intends to grow the theater program from its nonexistence to something larger.

“I’ve enjoyed meeting a lot of energetic kids,” Greasby said. “There’s a real hunger and thirst for theater here.”

With the new renovations, as well, there is plenty of room to expand and offer new classes. Some classes that Greasby would like to add include stagecraft, stage makeup, and directing. In the past, she has also taught musical theater, which is already offered.

“With the new performing arts center being built, there will be a lot of opportunities for additional classes,” Greasby said.

The current acting and theater classes offer benefits to be reaped, including the ability to carry oneself in any situation, along with the benefit to be able to connect it to a real world perspective, according to Greasby.

“It’s not just learning from the book; it’s actually seeing it in action,” Welton said.

All in all, Greasby’s classes offer a safe space for students to try out new things and to become problem solvers, while also acquiring respect for the arts.

“My philosophy isn’t necessarily to build people who go into the arts. My philosophy is to build people who appreciate the arts, who will continue to support the arts.”