The Review

Press Start

Back to Article
Back to Article

Press Start

Tyler Roberts, Reporter

Having fun, relieving stress, increasing your reflexes, making you think faster, spending time with friends and family, and easily handling stressful tasks can all happen by doing one thing. All of these things can be achieved just by simply playing games you enjoy.

Games have been played by millions of people worldwide, and are still being played today. Games are a fun hobby that almost anyone can enjoy if they find the right games to play. However, there seems to be a divide between those who play games and those who don’t. Reasons to play games can include stress relief, having fun, spending time with friends and family, or clearing your mind.

“A game is an opportunity to focus our energy, while being optimistic, at something we are good at (or getting better at) and enjoy,” Nicholas Christian [10] said. “To me, playing games is a way to get away from everything and enjoy the games I like.”

It’s not just because it is fun to play games, you can also set goals for yourself and achieve throughout the game. Achievements are great ways to set smaller and simpler goals that are definitely obtainable in a shorter period of time.

“I play games because it’s a fun way to connect with other people and it’s fun completing the game” Rylie Slocum [12] said.

If you know someone who is stressed out and doesn’t play games, tell them to try it out and see if they like it. Any kind of game can relieve stress for someone; if they like that kind of game, it’s really effective at clearing your mind and having fun.