The Student News Site of Ottawa High School

The Review

Cyclones Get New Wheels

The new Cyclone activity bus parked outside the USD290 bus barn. Purchased for $95,500, the bus has ample seating, air conditioning, and a wealth of storage space.

Lydia Harris, Reporter

Riding to events in the new Cyclone activity bus is becoming a must. It’s a red and white wonder to the district and not a typical bus ride.

Early summer of 2015, Dr. Jeanne Stroh [superintendent], Dr. Ryan Cobbs [assistant superintendent], and Tim Sipe [transportation director] spent some time discussing replacing some buses for present and future needs of transportation.

At that time, it was decided there was a need for one bus this school year to be brought into the rotation of the fleet and to dispose of four older buses.

The bus is a 2013 Bluebird All American activity school bus with 40,000 miles. The cost to the district was $95,500, about $40,000 less than a new one. Even though the bus is only three years old, it still has a lot of great features.

The bus now has the design of a completely white exterior, with red paint for the Power Cyclone and the word “Ottawa” gleaming on the side. The inside of the bus has seating for 46 passengers, along with air conditioning, reading lights, and comfortable charter-type seats with overhead and underbelly storage.

Tim Sipe [USD 290 transportation director] poses at the front of the new bus.

“It’s nice to have a bus with more storage so we can ride to the games comfortably and relax,” Drew Bones [12] said.

The bus first came to idea to use for the school, as well as the best utilization for the entire district. Its intended use is to be used as the primary activity bus for sporting events, band, music, and field trips.

The design of the bus came mostly from Cobbs. He wanted to use the Power Cyclone along with the word Ottawa on the side of the bus, so Masters Transportation’s graphics laid out various paint and graphics, of which Cobbs made the final choice.

“The biggest benefit is the sense of pride the bus gives when you roll into another town. People stop and look to see the big white bus with the big red “Cyclones” painted on the side. It really make you feel good when you step off,” Cliff McCullough [finance teacher] said.

If you have yet to get to ride new bus and want to, see if you can make special arrangements to look at it. It’s definitely a bus of pride that everyone should get the opportunity to see.